Star Wars: The Last Jedi could get bogged down by The Force Awakens unanswered questions
The second movie in a Trilogy is almost always the best installment. This makes a lot of sense; the first movie has already introduced the heroes so you don’t have to deal with nearly as much setup exposition. This means the movie can go straight to exploring the plot and associated conflicts. (See The Dark Knight for perhaps the best example of this.) But Star Wars: The Last Jedi won’t have this luxury because The Force Awakens asked a ton of questions it had no interest in answering.
AND DON’T TELL ME I NEED TO READ A BUNCH OF STAR WARS NOVELS OR VISUAL DICTIONARIES! I’M NOT DOING THAT!
So, here are just a few questions The Force Awakens asked that The Last Jedi needs to answer:
- Where did the New Order come from? And who’s paying for this? (Giant spaceships, super weapons, food, etc…) And who’s Snoke? And what happened to his face?!? And is he GIANT? Or is that just the hologram and he’s just an a-hole?
- Why isn’t The Resistance part of The New Republic? Aren’t they the status quo?
- How did Max get Anakin’s (Luke’s) Lightsaber?
- Why wasn’t Max Von Sydow’s character Wedge and why did he have the Map?
- How does Rey know how to use Force Powers? Meaning, how does she even know the Jedi Mind Trick is a thing?
- What happens in Rey’s vision? Is that cloud city? What’s the rest of that crap? WHAAAAAAT?
- Why Does R2-D2 suddenly wake up? Why did he have the map? Wait, what was Luke’s plan?
- Why did Kylo Ren turn to The Dark Side? Who Are The Knights Of Ren? Where are the Knights of Ren? Kylo probably could have used their help… because… you know… he got his butt whipped.
It seems like it’s going to be tough to tell the story going forward while answering all of these backstory questions at the same time. Maybe they’ll figure it out – although someone I know did warn me not to expect the creator of Lost to have great (or any) answers to these questions.
Why Didn’t Leia Train As a Jedi?
Posted on August 15, 2017, in movie review and tagged movies, Star Wars, Star Wars The Force Awakens, star wars the last jedi, The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.