Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens (Baffling Movie Trailers)
Today, we get the good kind of baffling on Baffling Movie Trailers: Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens!
I don’t know why I labored under the delusion that the Star Wars movies would end with the prequel trilogy. Obviously, we’ll all know that’s not true now.
What information do we get from this trailer? Almost none. But there are some tidbits:
- Director J.J. Abrams is clearly putting his own stamp on Star Wars. I think I only counted one lens flare in the trailer, but then, it’s a short trailer. Also, there’s plenty of tight shots of fast-moving objects, lots of energy in the shots… it’s a J.J. Abrams movie for sure. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but that’s what we’re going to get. So, even if the story isn’t great, it’ll probably be a well executed movie.
- Still wearing that Storm Trooper armor, huh? I guess that’s not going away.
- Ah, there’s the Millenium Falcon – and Tie Fighters? People really haven’t designed any new space ships in a long time in this universe.
- If you’re introducing a new segment of the Star Wars universe, you have to introduce a new light saber design or technique. In the Prequel Trilogy, it was Darth Maul’s double-bladed beauty. In The Clone Wars, it was all about going double fisted. Star Wars Rebels has that dude’s crazy spinning circle thing. Now, we see a Sith with something that kinda looks like broadsword. Maybe that’s just exhaust coming out the sides? I dunno, the lightsabers never needed an exhaust port before…
- That lady is riding the ugliest speeder I’ve ever seen in Star Wars.
WHAT’S NOT IN THE TRAILER:
There are no famous Star Wars faces in the trailer: no Carrie Fisher, no Harrison Ford, no Mark Hamill. I’m sure they’re holding back till we get to the full two or three-minute monster trailer.
Anyway, not much to talk about yet, but we’re clearly going to see a new visual style in the Star Wars movies, and I’m all for it – or, all for whatever brings us the best Star Wars movie possible. For now, the jury is still way out on that one.
Posted on November 28, 2014, in movie review and tagged Baffling Movie Trailers, carrie fisher, Episode VII, harrison ford, J.J. Abrams, Mark Hamill, movie review, movie trailers, movies, New Star Wars Trilogy, Star Wars, Star Wars movie, Star Wars movies, The Force Awakens. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.