One year after Hurricane Sandy

We’re now one year out from Hurricane Sandy and I can’t help but hope we don’t get our collective ass kicked again by yet another storm. (After Sandy, snow in October and other storms, I’ve become paranoid about any weather event falling between October 1 and April 30.) Most things are back to normal, but there are still so many people waiting on insurance claims, grants, permits and what have you.

My family and I were lucky. A tree branch hit the house, but it didn’t do any damage. We lost power on later Monday afternoon and it was restored on the following Saturday, which was a great relief because the rumor was if your power wasn’t fixed by the end of the weekend, you were in for a long haul, and that rumor proved to be true. Some people waited weeks, maybe even months longer than we did. That, as I have been saying lately, is bonkers.

What I remember the most about the storm and it’s aftermath:

During the storm: wind & transformers

We didn’t experience much rain, but it sure was windy. Also, the transforms on the telephone poles kept exploding, sending bright blue arcs and sparks into the night. That had to of caused some fires…

After the storm: information

Because we had no power, we couldn’t get information. I assume transformer explosions caused fires, but I never found out for sure.

After the storm: gas lines

The gas lines were creepy. The gas lines from the 70s were just a long line of cars – you see those pics and think "That’s a lot of cars," but these gas lines were just people, bundled up against the elements holding metal cans, hoping to get enough gas to keep a generator running that heated the house.

After the storm: the grocery store

We were lucky to have an open grocery store, but the muted lighting, mostly barren shelves and cash only experience did, again, give off a creepy vibe. "Cash only?!? Don’t you know money is full of germs?" This is my only money related joke.

After the storm: staying warm

The biggest task was staying warm. My minimal wood reserves ran dry quickly, but I was able to get cash (How? I can’t remember.) and buy a bunch of wood, which I had to painstakingly split, which I did not have the right tool for, but such is life. A fire was fine for humans and dogs, but not for the parrot. We finally found that the best way to keep him warm was hot water bottles (we never lost hot water even though we did lose our heat, which are both gas…) on the bottom of his cage and just keeping him covered with a heavy sheet. It was nice and toasty under there and I’d stick my head under and chat with him, which we both enjoyed.

For those have been able to move on, I’m sure the memory still stings, For those still in recovery, I wish you luck!

About Jamie Insalaco

Jamie Insalaco is the author of, and editor in chief of

Posted on October 29, 2013, in observations and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: